Cycling New Zealand run regular courses around the country with specific content to support not only cycling coaches but interested teachers, parents and other volunteers.
Why should your school support your cycling coaches to take part in this course?
You will already understand the important of professional development and oversite for your teaching staff. It’s important that those who are connected with the school (either through a paid or voluntary role) are conversant with current coaching principles, concepts and the national cycling federation’s philosophy regarding training youngsters. Although we understand that the majority of schools coaches are volunteers there are a number of reasons why coach education is increasingly more important. The Cycling New Zealand coaching courses are cross-coded which means the learning opportunities for all coaches are wider. There are no age limits so teenagers and young people who wish to coach can attend the same course as all other coaches, which also creates a broader learning environment.
What does the course cover?
- Duty of care coaches have under Health & Safety legislation
- Risk assessment/management/child safety/protection
- Youth-specific training guidelines and raising performance riders
- Coaching Principles – current worldwide research and practice
- Session Planning
- Coaching Communication & presentational skills
- Coaching practicals.
What do you (the school) get once they have attended the course?
- Confirmation they are aware of Health & Safety legislation
- Confirmation they are aware of Cycling Risk Management Planning
- Confirmation they are aware of the CNZ Child Protection Policy
- Confirmation they are aware of youth training guidelines and how to raise performance riders
- Confirmation they understand and agree to the Coaching Code of Ethics
- Confirmation they have completed a Police Vetting Process.**
What do they (coach, teacher, parent, helper) get once they have attended the course?
- Understanding of Health & Safety legislation
- Understanding of Cycling Risk Management Planning
- Understanding of the CNZ Child Protection Policy
- Awareness of the Coaching Code of Ethics
- Information on youth training guidelines and how to raise performance riders
- Sample Session Plan, Incident/Injury reporting form and other helpful templates
- Access to the Cycling New Zealand Coaches Closed Facebook group**
- Free technical coach endorsement to their Cycling New Zealand membership**
- Able to purchase official Cycling New Zealand Coach uniforms**
- Able to use the title “Cycling New Zealand Accredited Coach” **
**Subject to the completion of the post-course requirements
All coaching related queries or to find out when the next courses are, contact Chris Foggin on firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for a link to helpful coaching resourses and templates including Games Cards, Code of Contact and Child Protection Policy.
Click here for the NZTA Roadcode
Click here for information on Cycle Action Network (CAN) Road User Workshops.