Cycling New Zealand Schools Event Update


Following on from our statement last week, and in response to the latest Covid-19 update, Cycling New Zealand Schools, along with our Event Organisers and School Sport NZ can now provide further updates on remaining events. 


National School Road Championships

This event was scheduled to take place on 26 -28 September in Palmerston North.

As our previous announcement indicated, with the latest Government update not moving the country into Alert Level 1 this week, we are regrettably cancelling the event.

We, as the Event Organisers (and, we understand, many Schools) were due to incur significant non-refundable costs this week.  With the Government deferring its decision to move into Alert Level 1 until next Monday (race week), and with no certainty that the conditions to that movement will be able to be satisfied – this has left us with no other option but to cancel.  We are also very mindful that at that time there are likely to still be significant restrictions on mass gatherings by Aucklanders’ (who are 56% of our entry numbers).

We know this is beyond disappointing, our thoughts are with all our school riders, particular our U20’s who should be celebrating their schools cycling journey with a final opportunity to represent their school.

We thank all those schools who committed to this event and put us in a position where we would have been able to deliver if circumstances permitted. While some costs have been incurred we will fully refund those schools who have paid.  Those schools will be contacted separately regarding the refund process.

To our volunteers and valued contractors who continue to support this event (some for 50 plus years!) we thank you. We would also like to thank our event partners; Manawatu District Council, Palmerston North City Council, Sport Manawatu, Eastern & Central Community Trust and Trillian Trust for their support of this event.

We recognise the extraordinary history of this event but we are resilient and we will be back in 2021 with a renewed focus.

As with the announcements already made, these decisions by us have not made lightly.  There has been, and continues to be, a lot of work behind the scenes to work within the health decisions made by the Government.  Our desire to race is as high as yours.  We, along with all of you, share the disappointment that this pandemic continues to deliver not only in a sporting sense but throughout many aspects of our lives. We ask that you all consider the bigger picture when commenting on this decision.  


National School MTB Championships

This event is scheduled to take place on 2 – 4 October in Wellington.

As the event is a week after the National School Road events, we have been working closely with PNP Cycling Club, the event organisers, and in line with the expected Government update next week, they have reviewed their planning and processes once again and with more time up their sleeves have agreed to defer a final decision regarding the future of these events to next Monday 21 September.

With a potential positive move to Alert Level 1 next week the event is still planned to go ahead.  We remain on a positive trajectory and the team are committed to making this event happen if we continue down the alert levels.  Any change to what the Government is proposing next Monday and any remaining restrictions on Aucklanders will require reconsideration of this plan.

We understand there remains some uncertainty, particularly around Auckland participation, and therefore schools and riders may wish to make their own decisions.  If entrants wish to withdraw, please contact by this Friday 18th September.


South Island and National School Track Championships

This event is scheduled to take place on 6 - 7 October in Invercargill

This event is the last Schools Cycling event on the calendar and we have been working closely with Cycling Southland, our Event Organisers. With a potential positive move to Alert Level 1 next week they have confirmed they are in a position to delay their decision till this date prior to any significant costs being committed.  At this point, the number of entries and the government alert level will be reviewed before making a final decision on Monday 21 September.

Entries for this event close this Friday 18th September so if you are intending to support the event then please contact your school to enter before then.  If these timelines do not support your own planning, we understand and we support schools and riders making their own decision to withdraw.  If this is the case, please contact

Back to news