Cycling New Zealand Schools Event Updates

Cycling NZ Schools Logo v2

Cycling New Zealand Schools Event Updates

Following on from our statement last week, and in response to the latest Covid-19 update, Cycling New Zealand Schools, along with our Event Organisers and School Sport NZ can now provide further updates.


North Island Roads

This event was scheduled to take place on 5th and 6th September in Cambridge.

The latest government updated indicated that the country will remain in Alert Level 2 until the 6th September, as such we are regrettably cancelling the event.

While the current guidelines for operating an event in Level 2 in the Waikato permit gatherings of up to 100 and there are a number of ways to calculate this number, we are fully committed to supporting the intent of the guidelines which are in place to minimise groups of people in the same place and to support physical distancing. 

We would like to extend our thanks to all the schools and riders who entered and supported this event. We know there is a strong desire to return to racing when it is safe to do so. Those schools who have entered and paid will be contacted separately regarding the refund process.

We want to take this opportunity to extend our thanks and thoughts to Errol Newlands and the Red Events team for their dedication and support of Schools Cycling and we look forward to returning to Cambridge in 2021.


MTB Nationals, Road Nationals, South Island and Track Nationals

At this stage these events remain on the calendar and we are preparing that they will go ahead as planned. We reserve the final decision on these events until at least Monday 7th September (following the government update due by 6th September). We await any further directive from SSNZ, the current alert levels from the NZ Government and information from our event organisers on the viability of the event prior to making any final decision.

If you are intending to support these events, we do ask your school to enter to provide confidence to our event organisers that they will be supported.


As with the announcement already made, these decisions have not made lightly. We, along with many of you, share the disappointment that this pandemic continues to deliver not only in a sporting sense but throughout many aspects of our lives.

We share the desire to get back to racing but along with all of you, have a responsibly that our decisions first and foremost, support the safety and wellbeing of all our stakeholders. We thank you all for your understanding and support.

Back to news