Cycling New Zealand Schools Events Update


In response to the latest Covid-19 update, Cycling New Zealand Schools, along with our Event Organisers and School Sport New Zealand would like to assure you that we are working through a measured and considered approach for the upcoming events on the Schools Cycling calendar.

Over the next few days we will be reviewing the status of these upcoming events operating. We will be considering a number of factors including (but not limited to) current government alert levels and guidelines, the ability to deliver within the intent of the guidelines, advice and sanctioning from School Sport New Zealand, the viability of the event/s considering entry numbers, the safety of all those attending and the overall support of a national approach to the Covid-19 response.

We also acknowledge that decisions need to be made as soon as possible, based on what we know at the time, so riders can make appropriate preparations, travel arrangements can be confirmed or amended, and that organisers can prepare and organise the event and be protected from incurring costs if the event does not go ahead.

Taking all these factors and the safety and welfare of all our stakeholders, below is our current update in regards to the continuation of the Schools Cycling Calendar.

Our decisions will not be made lightly. We, along with many of you, share the desire to be out there racing and are highly aware of the impact on our riders if these positive experiences are not available once again, but along with all of you, have a responsibility that our decisions first and foremost, support the safety and wellbeing of all our stakeholders. We thank you all for your understanding and support.

Skoda Southern Tour and Skoda Northern Tour

We are reserving making a decision about these events until Monday 23rd August (or as earliest as possible). At this time, we will be reviewing all relevant factors including (but not limited to), current and future government alert levels and their guidelines and any update from School Sport New Zealand. 

If you have already entered but are now not planning on attending then please contact us to withdraw your entries as the number of riders will be taken into account in our decision on Monday.

Skoda National School Road, Skoda South Island School Track and Skoda National School MTB Championships

At this stage these events remain on the calendar and we are preparing that they will go ahead as planned. We reserve the final decision on these events as we await any further directive from SSNZ and further updates from the NZ Government.

If you are intending to support these events, we do ask your school to enter to provide confidence to our event organisers that they will be supported.

If you have any questions or concerns please email 

Back to news