Cycling New Zealand Schools Event Updates

Cycling NZ Schools Logo v2

Cycling New Zealand Schools Event Updates

Following on from our statement on last week and in response to the latest Covid-19 update, Cycling New Zealand Schools, along with our Event Organisers and School Sport NZ have taken the last few days to ensure there is a measured and considered approach for the continuation of the Schools Cycling calendar.


At this stage, School Sport NZ have asked sports to review the viability of events to operate in the current environment. In doing so we have considered a number of factors including (but not limited to) current government alert levels and guidelines, the ability to deliver within the intent of the guidelines, advice and sanctioning from School Sport NZ, the viability of the event/s considering entry numbers, the safety of all those attending and the overall support of a national approach to the Covid-19 response.


Cycling New Zealand Schools have determined it is not viable for their championship events to be delivered in Level 2, or when any region in New Zealand is in Level 3, with the restriction on travel for some regions removing a fair playing field, also impacting the number of riders attending. 

We also acknowledge that decisions need to be made as soon as possible, based on what we know at the time, so riders can make appropriate preparations, travel arrangements can be confirmed or amended, and that organisers can prepare and organise the event and be protected from incurring costs if the event does not go ahead.


Taking all these factors and the safety and welfare of all our stakeholders, below is our current update in regards to the continuation of the Schools Cycling Calendar.


These decisions have not been made lightly. We, along with many of you, share the desire to get back to racing but along with all of you, have a responsibility that our decisions first and foremost, support the safety and wellbeing of all our stakeholders. We thank you all for your understanding and support.



South Island Roads

Given that the event is scheduled to take place on 29 August, in agreement with the event organisers we have determined that, unfortunately, this event will be cancelled.


This disappointing decision has been made taking into account (but not limited to) the current government guidelines and timelines for making any changes, the ability for the event organiser to confirm planning without incurring further costs and considering as much notice as we can give for those who were planning to travel.


Those schools who have entered this event will be contacted directly on refund options.


We want to take this opportunity to extend our thanks and thoughts to Warren Hall and the Cycling Marlborough club for their dedication and support of Schools Cycling and we look forward to returning to Blenheim in 2021.


North Island Roads

We are reserving a decision on this event until Monday 24th August. At this time, we will be reviewing all relevant factors including (but not limited to), current and future government alert levels and their guidelines, the number of entries received and any update from School Sport NZ.


If your school is intending on participating in the event if able to go ahead, then we ask you enter the event, if you have already entered but are now not planning on attending then please contact us to withdraw your entries as the number of riders will be taken into account in our decision on Monday.


MTB Nationals, Road Nationals, South Island and Track Nationals

At this stage these events remain on the calendar and we are preparing that they will go ahead as planned. We reserve the final decision on these events as we await any further directive from SSNZ and further updates from the NZ Government in the next week or so.


If you are intending to support these events, we do ask your school to enter to provide confidence to our event organisers that they will be supported.

Back to news